Hot from the Oven
June 21, 2009
Welcome to my blog: CrazyaboutBaking



... these are a few of my favourite things ...

favourite cake
date 'n' carrot

favourite muffin/cupcake
apple 'n' cinnamon

favourite cookie
peanut butter

favourite dessert
strawberry cheesecake

favourite essences
vanilla & lemon

favourite spices
nutmeg, cinnamon & ginger

favourite filling
lemon curd

favourite frostings
almond & chocolate fudge

favourite recipe
shepherd's pie

favourite baking tip
don't overmix the muffin batter

favourite tv channel
fatafeat (food network)

favourite food show
(anything) martha stewart

favourite baking blog
Bakers' Banter



Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog .....

By way of introducing myself, I won't say that I am a great baker :-) at the same time, I can't say that I am a novice baker, either. I think my talent for baking lies somewhere between.

I owe my love for baking to my mother and big brother, Fran, who introduced me to the wonderful world of baking. Christmas baking was something special for our family, when Mum baked the best cakes and snowballs (butter cookies), all carefully mixed or shaped by - Fran! I remember having to endure Fran's stern looks and chidings as I tried to shape the cookies with my little fingers, but I didn't mind as I got to sneakily eat some of the cherries and ..... come to think of it ..... it did hone my baking skills, after all! The baking flavours that came out of the oven were awesome, but the "proof was in the pudding" - a memory that would forever be cherished by the tastebuds of an eleven year old! It was around that time that I made my humble debut into the world of baking.

I am fortunate to live in Kuwait which has a rich and diverse baking history that is constantly evolving. Local bakery fare includes the famous flat breads - Khubiz and Fattayer and the tiny saffron-cardamom cakes - Qurs Ugaili for which Kuwait is well-known, and absolutely worth mentioning are the yummy - rich baked Ramadan delicacies!!! Kuwaiti bakeries are also home to the Gourmet-style American pizzas and French pastries. Here are some amazing photos of royal wedding cakes made by a pastry chef in Kuwait. European delis and Lebanese bakeries (at just about every street corner) do brisk business selling cookies, cakes and savouries. There's ample here to tempt the palate as well as to inspire the enthusiatic baker... Check out this tea party at the Kuwait Sheraton.

My blog "CrazyaboutBaking" is naturally about my love for baking which I want to share with all of you. The recipes are simple and easy to follow, yet, promise a delicious bite at the end of it. Try them and see for yourself. Bon Apetit! I have also included many resources on my blog for the novice baker (to get you started and provide on-going help) and some resources (if you like) for the seasoned one.

My present-day baking has a less daring edge to it. I call it enlightened baking. Firstly, I measure each of my ingredients carefully (unlike before) and, secondly, whenever I can, I try to make my baked goodies as healthy and nutritious as possible (with less sugar, butter substitutes, less eggs, whole wheat flour, less baking powder or yeast). A consummate baker by day or night, the aroma of freshly baked bread or cake or cookies coming from our oven drives my hubby Ron crazy :-)

To get on with the rest of my story ... Here's the secret recipe for a perfect life: Do often what you love doing most ... I am thrilled having discovered blogging (thanks to all you guys at blogger.com who make it possible). Blogging has enriched my life, bringing together the two things I do best & love doing most - the first you know! the second is my passion for web design. The over-zealous blogger might appreciate the use of all the Javascript and CSS on my blog. (Yes, you may copy the code, if you can figure out from where & how to)

Bye for now. Hope to see more of you (by way of your comments) on CrazyaboutBaking.blogspot.com

Best Wishes,



Back to Jul's Recipes....


blank 0 comments blank Post a Comment
 
Jul bakes with the masters...
Cake & Cake Decorating
See all in this category



 

Cookies
See all in this category


 

Bread-Making Essentials
See all in this category



 

Casseroles & Baking Pans
See all in this category



 

Pizza Essentials
See all in this category



Getting Started

Cookies

Cakes

Bread

Pastry

Techniques

Good Things!
Welcome to Baking Central! ..... Beginner's tips, learning resources & more...

Baking is fun and easy ... learn "just how!"
Here are some of my favourite links which helped me get started. You will find resources on everything from baking bread to decorating your favorite cakes and cookies...

blank
Bakers Gallery
Please update your RSS feed link - Hello friends, Some of you have reached out to let me know that you are not receiving any of my blog updates through your RSS feed. When I changed blog pl...
11 years ago
TWD: Thansgiving Twofer Pie - This week's recipe is a combo of pumpkin and pecan pie. Now, we obviously don't celebrate Thansgiving in NZ, and I have never made pumpkin or pecan pie be...
15 years ago
9 perler bead animals - Perler beads are a creative tool for making fun designs, jewelry, trinkets, key chains and more! Check out these perler bead animals. What should I make...
2 years ago

Tweety says...


free counters

© CrazyAboutBaking.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. About My Blog